Sunday, June 27, 2010

Life's List of To-Dos

We all have things in the back of our minds that we want to do before our time to do them escapes us.  Some hold them closely and never share, others write them down and cross them off as each one is accomplished.  No matter how we do it, these lists change as we change.  When I was younger, my list included things like live in California, go to art school/college, have a family....  Some of those things I have accomplished, others have just changed as I and my priorities have changed.

I'm a list-maker.  I make to-do lists at work and home, shopping lists, cleaning lists, etc.  So it makes sense that I would also have a list of life's to-dos.  Unlike others who have a top 50 or 100, my list changes, grows, or shortens as my life changes.  These are things that have pretty consistently been on my list over the years.  Everyday is a day closer to accomplishing one or more.  The others, give me something to look forward to for tomorrow. I hope you'll find some motivation, inspiration, or incitation to make and live your own list.
  • Aid in the effort to outlaw/close down puppy mills
  • Audition for a Broadway Play
  • Be an awesome friend
  • Be ridiculous
  • Build a dream home
  • Build a Habitat for Humanity Home
  • Build and use a compost system
  • Bungee Jump from a hot air balloon
  • Create a business plan and start my own business
  • Cruise the Galopagos Islands
  • Cruise the Nile River
  • Decorate my dream room
  • Do research at the Library of Congress
  • Do something to improve someone elses life
  • Donate regularly
  • Drink the sunset
  • Drink whiskey at a pub in Ireland
  • Eat at the source as much as possible
  • Get a PhD
  • Get an article published in the New Yorker
  • Get the tattoo I've always wanted
  • Go deep water cliff diving
  • Go on a cross country motorcycle trip
  • Go on an Alaskan Adventure Cruise
  • Go sky diving
  • Go to a Playboy Mansion party
  • Go to culinary school
  • Go to Machu Picchu
  • Grow a garden with all my favorite vegetables
  • Invest in the stock market
  • Invite friends over for dinner frequently
  • Join PETA
  • Laugh Often
  • Learn to bake an awesome dutch abple cherry pie
  • Learn to forgive
  • Learn to meditate
  • Learn to play the piano well
  • Learn to roller blade
  • Live for a week at a Nudist Colony
  • Live for One Year in Costa Rica
  • Live for One Year in New York City
  • Live for One Year on the Greek Island of Karpathos
  • Live greener
  • Live outside (camp) for one month
  • Love and be loved
  • Love every day
  • Make my own list of the 100 best cocktails
  • Open a Swiss Bank account in Switzerland
  • Own a pair of purple boots and wear them a lot
  • Participate in La Tomatina
  • Perform a Stand Up Comedy set in a Comedy Club
  • Publish a novel
  • Put up (can) vegetables for the winter
  • Quit my job with dramatic flair
  • Read all of the 100 Best Novels on the Modern Library's list of English Language since 1900
  • Rescue puppy mill and kill shelter dogs
  • Run a 10K
  • Run a marathon
  • Sail from Seattle to Mexico or vice-versa
  • See the statues of Easter Island
  • Sell a drawing or painting
  • Sleep in a haunted house (not by myself)
  • Spend a week at a Silent Retreat
  • Spend a year living in England retracing and writing about literary history
  • Start a charitable foundation that supports democratic education
  • Stay at Cambria Shores for a full week watching the sun set and rise every day
  • Swim in every ocean
  • Swim with dolphins
  • Take a 6 mo world cruise
  • Take up yoga
  • Throw an over-the-top party
  • Walk along the Great Wall of China
  • Walk and dance in the rain as often as possible
  • Work on a political campaign staff
  • Write a novel

No comments:

Post a Comment